You guys!!! I’m excited to share this new recipe with you! I’m not really a fan of mushrooms, but this mushroom risotto is AMAZING.
It’s easy to make AND it’s dairy free! It only requires a few ingredients — risotto rice, mushrooms, onion, garlic and vegetable broth. And, it doesn’t require constant stirring like most risottos. So easy! I especially love this recipe because it’s super creamy without having to use cream. I try to limit dairy in my diet (Bobby thinks I’m lactose intolerant), so trying to find recipes without milk, cheese, or cream is really hard. When the risotto simmers, the vegetable broth gets thick and makes the dish super creamy.
I’ve probably made this 4 or 5 times in the past few months. The first time I made it, Bobby declined to eat it (he’s not a big fan of mushrooms either). However, as I was cooking it smelled SO GOOD so Bobby gave in. We ate every last piece of rice and were bummed there were no leftovers. He decided to make the recipe again just a few weeks later. That’s when I knew we found a winner!
The recipe below is good for two people. I would definitely double or triple the recipe if you want leftovers. If you have some white wine, it’s a great flavor boost!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook on medium-low heat until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for one minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and white wine (if using). Then stir in the risotto.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Add more hot water, if necessary.
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
I’m already dreaming of the next time I eat this. Try it! And let me know what you think!